Robert L. Pendergraft
Robert L. Pendergraft has devoted over 40 years to the full-time practice of litigation, mediation, and alternative dispute resolution (ADR). He has represented both plaintiff and defendants in a wide range of cases involving products liability, medical malpractice, maritime, Chapter 11 bankruptcy, securities, antitrust, R.I.C.O., fraud, letters of credit, secured transactions, general U.C.C., real estate, D.T.P.A., insurance coverage, bad faith, and family issues. He has also tried approximately 40 cases to a jury verdict.
Mr. Pendergraft has also served on the Board of Directors of the Houston Chapter of the Association of Attorney Mediators and has mediated over 700 cases, many of which involved complex issues, multiple parties, and settlements in excess of $1,000,000 dollars. Finally, Martindale gave Mr. Pendergraft an AV Preeminent rating for his many years at Pendergraft & Simon, LLP, a testament to the fact that his peers rank him at the highest level of professional excellence.
Since 2003, Mr. Pendergraft has served as 1 of only 3 trustees for the J.T. Thorpe Company Successor Trust, an asbestos trust implemented pursuant to 11 U.S.C. § 524(g) to resolve claims caused by exposure to products containing asbestos, for which the company was found to have legal responsibility.He has provided oversight for many investment portfolio managers, claims processing services, and future claims representatives. Additionally, he has actively participated with co-trustees in directing other trust business with the assistance of professionals engaged by the trust.
- Bachelor of Arts in History, University of Texas, 1967
- Juris Doctor, University of Texas School of Law, 2015
- Associate Editor, Texas Law Review, 1969-1970
- USA&M Basic Training, 1986
- A.A.M. Basic Mediator Training, 1990
- A.A.M. Advanced Mediator Training, 1991
- A.A. White Advanced Mediator Training (Moderator), 1992
- United States Arbitration and Mediators National Advanced Mediator Training, 1991, 1992 (Chair), 1994 (Chair)
- Academy of Family Mediators Approved Basic and Advanced Training, 1998
Licenses and Admissions
- Texas, 1971
- Texas Southern District/Bankruptcy Court
- Texas Western District/Bankruptcy Court